Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back in Austin

Hello Avid readers of Anne in Austin Blog,

Obviously, I haven't written in a while. I've been up at Feathered Pipe Ranch with Christina for the past week. It seems sort of silly to write my own blog when I'm on vacation with her and she is blogging as we are pretty much doing the same thing. The trip to FP ranch was fabulous. When we left, I wasn't really in a frame of mind where I was ready to leave. We'd just gone on a fabulous vacation to Tofino and I was really having fun sinking into life in Austin. It sort of felt like I was getting sent away to summer camp... But after being sort of homesick (note summer camp) for about a day and a half, I really settled into being there. I've had the opportunity to study with Patricia Walden once before at a four day workshop in Dallas and I knew she'd be fabulous. I'd never studied with John Schumacher and how good he was was really a delightful surprise. They are both excellent at taking you to deeper levels of awareness and motivating a desire to work hard. They are both amazing pranayama teachers as well as asana teachers. We had pranayama class every afternoon and I have a much firmer understanding of the various digital pranayamas due to their careful explanations.

Socially camp was fun also. I enjoyed hanging out with CT's friend Rachel and Timothy McCall the other member of the hiking team. Randy from Dallas was there and Heide Grace (who happens to live in Austin) I go to camp to make a new friend at home. It was also fascinating watching several of Patricia and John's long term students and seeing their dedication to practice.

I read a couple books while I was up there. The Sari Shop and Palace of Illusions. Mostly, a lot of yoga and a lot of just sitting around looking at the natural beauty of the world and talking to people who share the love of yoga.

We got back into Austin late Saturday, well really early Sunday morning. Since then it has really been more of the same. Lots of yoga and lots of hanging out. And a return to the computer and my writing regime. I'm gathering together disparate notes and drafts of the Republic chapter sections 3 and 4. It is starting to come together!

Highlights from Sunday through Tuesday... Mandy's class and that first eka pada rajakapotasana (welcome back to anusara land)... Matt's Asthanga class, lots of sweat. Fabulous massage from Rebecca. Christina's classes. I subbed a fun hatha star class Monday afternoon. Great Pesto dinner. Yummy pizza at Central Market...

On the docket for today, Rolfing, writing, maybe a mani pedi and Devon's class at 5:30.

No comments: