Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Farewell to Jade


Some sad news. Yesterday, I took Jade to the vet. She had become a bit alarmingly thin. She never really settled in that well to the move to Austin. At first, I wasn't too worried about her weightloss, because she was a little round, but she just started seeming really lethargic and uninterested in food. The vet tried to get her on IV fluids and a feeding tube and some where in that process Jade left this world for her next incarnation. (back story: my childhood cat died when I was in grad school and her aura appeared to me in a dream and told me not to worry about her because she had been reincarnated and was living as an artist in Dallas with red hair).

I'm sad about it, of course, but grateful in a way that she went quickly. Sam's decline was so long and drawn out and the decision to put him down so difficult, that at least Jade didn't suffer long and I didn't have to make the decision.

My stepdaughter, Christa, rescued Jade on Labor day weekend about ten years ago. Jade was less than 8 weeks old and she was about to drown in a drain pipe. I was hesitant to take on another cat because Sam had just recently been diagnosed with diabetes, but Christa left Jade with us that weekend when she went to stay with her mom and Jade curled up in a little ball and slept right in my armpit all night. I was hooked. Having Jade around really perked Sam up. Sam would teach Jade things and bath her. Jade had a very perky, inquisitive personality. I missed sleeping with her last night!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm sorry for your loss.
Love,
Lisa

Elaina said...

I'm so sorry about Jade!

whatnot said...

Sorry I missed this. Goodbye Jade! Sounds like she had a great life with you.