Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wednesday Pre Spa brief Post

We got the weeklong wireless access at Cafe Vicente so we are here checking email and basically waiting for our spa appointment. We watched two episodes of Big Love last night. Christina made great whole wheat pasta with veggies which we had for dinner and a slight variation for lunch. We also did a nice flow based practice this morning.

I've read a lot on this trip also. So far I've finished Christina's new book. It's gonna be great! Actually, its already great, despite the fact that there are no photos of me in it... But I am now prominently featured on the blog... so it goes. In terms of books in print: I've read most of Jhumpa Lahiri's new collection of short stories, Unaccustomed Earth, most of Kofi Busia's edited collection of essays celebrating BKS Iyengar.

Into the Wild -a bizarre story about a 24 year old who goes into the wilderness to find himself (Jeremiah - dangers abound in this story); Grace Eventually by one of my favorite writers, Anne Lamott.

Here are a couple great passages:


“I wish grace and healing were more abracadabra kinds of things; also, that delicate silver bells would ring to announce grace’s arrival. But no, it’s clog and slog and scootch on the floor, in silence, in the dark. I suppose that if you were snatched out of the mess you’d miss the lesson; the lesson is the slog. I grew up thinking the lessons should be more like the von Trapp children; more marionettes, more dirndls and harmonies. But no: it’s slog, blog, scootch” (51).

“Sometimes I think that Jesus watches my neurotic struggles, and shakes his head and grips his forehead and starts tossing back mojitos” (56).

“you can’t go limp in the face of this world’s horror and barbarity. Limp is what they want, in the paranoid sense of the word they.”

“the best way to change the world is to change your mind, wihc often requires feeding yourself. It makes for biochemical peace. It’s almost like a prayer: to be needy, to eat, to taste, to be filled, building up instead of tearing down. You find energy to do something you hand’t expected to do, maybe even one of the holiest things: to go outside and stand under the stars, or to go for a walk in the morning or in such hard times both” (253).


Now I'm reading Escape which Christina gave me (about a woman who escapes from a polygamy sect... Big Love influence).

No comments: