Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day Two and Three in Tofino

Monday highlights. Christina and I woke up really early due to the very early sun rise and the fact that I, in addition to having t-rex arms, have very thin eye lids. (This is a private Frosolono family joke- Dad always sleeps with a t shirt over his eyes and I like to sleep with knot- pillow (pillow I've had since childhood which is pretty well decomposed foam ) over my forehead. One day, I asked Mom if she liked to sleep with anything over her head and she said, "No. I can make the room dark just by shutting my eyes. Your father has very thin eye lids).

We had a great morning practice and checked email and shopped in Tofino until it was time for our surf lesson with Sara, Surf Sister's sister. Christina will post photos later on her blog. I did manage to get my feet on the the surf board and assume an almost upright posture a couple times... Christina did much better. She really got a couple good rides in... The water was really cold and it is really hard work surfing.... We came home, showered, and went to dinner and a great place, Shelter.... Ate totally yummy pizza and salad, then we went to Sara and John's house for a little while after walking on the beach, then bed...

We both slept until 7:30 or so (I aided by a t shirt over my head). We practiced and had breakfast and then prepared for the whale watching tour. Wow. What a great experience. It is so so so beautiful here. It is easily in the top five most stunning places I've ever been. Delphi, Samari Gorge Crete, the Grand Canyon and Tikal come to mind as others in the ball park.

We rode on an open air Zodiac about an hour and a half (look forward to pics with us in red parka gear). We saw Bald Eagles and three bears on the way up. Then we hiked through the forest to an amazing hot springs... Super hot water running in pools and showers through boulders right up against the ocean ( we got some great yoga shots also)... On the way back, we went on the open water and looked for whales. We saw Baleen whales. Lots of spout action and their bodies emerged and even one nice tail... It was just an amazing day!

We'll eat something yummy for dinner I'm sure. Tomorrow is SPA day.

1 comment:

Flawless said...

Very cool on the surfing! I had a great time on my frist lesson - altho the water was prolly a bit warmer in Hawaii. Dylan misses you BTW. Have fun in "Mancouver."