Thursday, April 23, 2009

In Darkest Baltimore

I managed to leave DFW successfully this week. Last week, I tried to get up to a conference in Memphis, but my flight was cancelled and I would have missed my paper, so I just turned around and came back to Austin (though as Patricia Walden says, there's no just... that took several hours because of the weather first in Austin, then in route and then in Dallas). However, Jeff and I had a fabulous weekend which more than made up for the rather bizarre round of travel hell.

This time around, I was more sensible in my travel planning. I actually got in the night before my paper (actually I didn't have a choice, because I couldn't get into Baltimore and out to the conference in time for my session). After I got in the BWI, I took the light rail out to Timonium Business Park and then walked to the hotel. It was only supposed to be a block away, but let's just say it was a very long block.. I went out with Jessy and Jamie (more on that on the Teaching Blog) and really had a fabulous time. They really like Baltimore and the place the selected, The Brewer's Art, was a great experience.

This morning I've had a really productive time in the hotel, despite the fact that this is one of the noisiest hotels I've stayed at in a long time. I work incredibly well in hotels, always have. Something about being cut off from everything, that and people bring yummy treats to eat to keep you going.. I got a nice practice in as well, which is always especially welcome while travelling.

So I've got a big afternoon of conferencing ahead and then dinner with Silvia, a friend from grad school

No comments: